Lesson 12: International Beats for the Future
This is our last class with Hansen’s book. We revisit the question she poses from the beginning with a twist: Who do we — as journalists — become if we don’t become Americans? What does this mean for how we shape our careers in international journalism?
- Suzy Hansen, Notes on a Foreign Country, “American Dreams: America, Iran, and Turkey” (Chapter 7, pp. 215-238)
- Suzy Hansen, Notes on a Foreign Country, Epilogue (pp. 239-247)
- REVIEW OF LESSON 11
- IN CLASS EXERCISE 1
- STUDENT LED DISCUSSION OF HANSEN CHAPTER 7 AND EPILOGUE
- IN CLASS EXERCISE 2
Review of Previous Lesson
- After having edited all of the students’ drafts, do a review of common mistakes and how to fix (from basic grammar mistakes to structural challenges et al).
In Class Exercise 1
Let’s look at a story that both as an audio and as a written piece has a strong nut graf. And let’s use the same criteria that we used in workshop last week to dissect this article.
“Families of Extremists Want to Redefine Hate,” NPR by Hannah Allam
Student Led Discussion of Hansen Chapter 7 and Epilogue
Turn over discussion to the two students who have signed up to lead the class through this chapter. They must summarize the main points and then frame the discussion.
Since this is the last class with Hansen’s book, make sure to touch on the question she poses from the beginning with a twist: Who do we — as journalists — become if we don’t become Americans? What does this mean for how we shape our careers in international journalism?
In Class Exercise 2
Let’s read together these two pieces which ran on the same day in the New York Times, about Lebanon.
“Beirut’s Nightlife Survived Civil War. Can It Withstand Pandemic?” NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/middleeast/beirut-lebanon-nightlife-coronavirus.html
“In Lebanon, A Pandemic of Hunger” NYT
- WHAT ARE YOUR REACTIONS TO THESE PIECES?
- HOW ARE THESE PIECES DIFFERENT?
- HOW ARE THEIR WRITERS DIFFERENT?
- IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE TROPES EMPLOYED IN THE DISPATCH PIECE?
- IF SO, WHAT ARE THE CRITICISMS OF THESE TROPES?